by Maria Lloyd
The media has been abuzz about the extent of sacrifices Olympic Gold Medalist, Gabby Douglas’, mother made to get her to the Olympic competition. Well apparently, the sacrifices were so steep that it forced Douglas’ mother, Natalie Hawkins, to file Chapter 13 bankruptcy just a few months before her daughter competed in the Olympic competitions. According to documents filed in Virginia, Hawkins’ assets totaled to $163, 706.10 and her debt totaled to $79, 754. 10. Her creditors include Capital One, Sprint, T-mobile, a student loan, and an orthodontist in Iowa- where Gabby trained when she was fourteen.
Under the Chapter 13 filing, Hawkins has agreed to a monthly payment plan. She began making payments of $408/month in February of this year to a trustee who allocated the money among her creditors. Sports marketing experts predict Gabby will acquire endorsements totaling to $100 million. It appears that Hawkins’ sacrifice has truly paid off!
- Gabby Douglas’ Mom Filed For Bankruptcy Right Before Olympics (alan.com)
- Gabby Douglas — Mom Filed for Bankruptcy Before Olympic Triumph (tmz.com)
- Gabby Douglas’ mom filed for bankruptcy (nbcsports.msnbc.com)
- Gymnast Gabby Douglas’ mom filed for bankruptcy (kansascity.com)
- When The Olympic Checks Start Coming In: Gold Medal Goddess Gabby Douglas Expected To Make It Rain $10 MILLION In Endorsements After Mom Files For Bankruptcy (bossip.com)
- Gymnast Gabby Douglas’ mom filed for bankruptcy (cnsnews.com)
- Gymnast Gabby Douglas’ mom filed for bankruptcy (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Gabby Douglas’ mom filed for bankruptcy earlier this year (nypost.com)